BACHELOR OF PHYSIOTHERAPY -IVYEAR
PHYSIOTHERAPY IN ORTHOPEDIC CONDITIONS
TEACHING HOUR: 300 HRS
TIME: 3 HRS
Note: For Paper setters /Examiners
- Paper setter is required to set eight questions from the entire syllabus out of which 5 questions is to be attempted, each carrying 16 marks.
This course serves to integrate the knowledge gained by the students in Clinical Orthopaedics, with the skills gained in exercise therapy, electrotherapy and massage, thus enabling them to apply these in clinical situations of dysfunction due to musculoskeletal pathology.
|S NO.||TOPIC||Learning Objectives (At the end of the course the student shall be able to)||Content||METHODOLOGY||Time (Hrs)|
1.Specific fractures and their physiotherapeutic management.
2.Soft tissue injuries
|Describe the traumatology bony tissues, specific fracture and soft tissue injuries||To cover the review of the following condition and various management aims, physiotherapeutic intervention and technique of physiotherapy in the following conditions
Fracture and dislocations: Classification and type of displacement, method of immobilization, healing of fractures and factors affecting union, non union, delayed Union etc., common sites of fractures and their general physiotherapeutic management.
· Upper limb: Clavicle, humerus, ulna, radius, crush injuries of hand.
· Lower Limb: fracture neck of femur, shaft of femur, patella, tibia fibula, pott’s fracture, fracture of tarsal and metatarsals.
· Spine: fracture and dislocations of cervical, thoracic and lumbar vertebrae with and without neurological deficits.
· Synovitis and Capsulitis.
· Tendonitis and other tendon injuries around wrist, elbow, knee, shoulder, ankle.
· Bursitis, volkman’s ischemic contracture.
· Tear of semilunar cartilage, menisectomy.
· Injury to cruciate ligaments of knee.Internal derangement of knee.
· And other overuse injuries important for a Physiotherapist.
Problem based learning
|Describe the surgical procedure of various mentioned condition||
To cover Pre and post operative physiotherapy management of common corrective procedure like arthroplasty, arthrodesis, osteotomy, patellectomy, tendon transplants, soft tissue release, grafting, including post polio residual paralysis and leprosy deformities corrections.
Amputation: Level of amputation of upper limb and lower limb, stump care, stump bandaging, Pre and post operative physiotherapy management, pre and post prosthetic management including check out of prosthesis, training etc.
Visit to OPD/IPD
|Describe the various deformities clinical and PT management|| To cover Etiology, pathology, clinical presentation, diagnostic criterion general, orthotic and Physiotherapy Management of the following: Congenital torticollis, Cervical rib, CTEV, Pescavus, Pesplanus and other common congenital deformities, Scoliosis, Increased and decreased Kyphosis, increased & decreased Lordosis, Coxavara, Genu valgum, Genu varum and recurvatum.
|4||Degenerative and infective conditions:
|Describe the various degenerative and infective condition|| To cover Etiology, pathology, clinical presentation, diagnostic criterion, general, orthotic, and Physiotherapy Management of the following:
Osteoarthritis of major joints, Spondylosis, Spondylitis, Spondylolisthesis, retrolisthesis, spinal stenosis, PIVD, Periarthritis of shoulder, Tuberculosis of spine, bone and major joints, and other miscellaneous orthopaedic conditions treated by Physiotherapy.
Vertical Integerated Teaching
|5||Arthritis and Allied conditions :
|Describe the various arthritis and allied condition|| To cover Etiology, pathology, clinical presentation, diagnostic criterion general, orthotic, and Physiotherapy Management of the following:
· Osteo- Arthritis-generalized, Degenerative and traumatic.
· Rheumatoid Arthritis, Still’s disease, infective Arthritis
· Spondylitis, ankylosing spondylitis.
· Non articular Rheumatism, Fibrositis, trigger point, fibromyalgia, Perthes disease, Ganglion, Duputyren’s contracture
1. Etio pathogenesis and physiotherapy and general management of the Edema-Traumatic, Obstructive, position dependent and Paralytic,
2. Deficiency disease- Rickets, Osteomalacia, Osteoporosis and other deficiency disorders related to Physiotherapy their clinical presentation, etio pathogenesis, management strategies including physiotherapy interventions.
Vertical Integerated teaching
Problem based learning
|Explain various condition during clinical postings||1. Includes Clinical hours on patient examination and Physiotherapy intervention under supervision on the various conditions as outline in the syllabus.
2. Includes case presentations emphasizing on differential diagnosis and clinical reasoning skills
3. Practical demonstration of basic principles of physiotherapy assessment, functional assessment and application of physiotherapy in orthopeadics conditions.
Demonstration on patient in OPD&IPD
- textbook orthopedics and Rheumatology for physiotherapists –
Downie -Jaypee brothers.
- Tidy’s physiotherapy- Tomsonet. al Butterworth Heinmann
- Essentials of orthopedics and applied physiotherapy – Joshi and kotwal- B.L. Churchill
- Tetraplegia & Paraplegia- Bromley- W.B. Saunders.
- Orthopedics physiotherapy- Donatelli&VVooden- WB. Saunders.
- Rheumatological Physiotherapy- David – Mosby
- Orthopaedic Physiotherapy- Tids well – Mosby
- Physiotherapy for amputee- Engstrom& Van de van – Churchill Livingsstone
- Sports Injuris: Diagnosis and management: Norris Butterworth Heinmann