Our modern lifestyle – with all its perks and benefits – has started to take a toll on our bodies. Back pain, knee pain, and neck strains have become everyday problems.
Physiotherapy is one of the popular courses in modern medicine worldwide. which views human movements as central to the health and well being of individuals. Physiotherapists are trained professionals who help their injured patients get back to the highest possible range of movement. In addition to their role in maintenance and restoration of physical function& health, Physiotherapists are also responsible for promotion of health, life style, quality of life and prevention of physical dysfunction and disability
This holistic approach incorporates a broad range of physical and physiological therapeutic interventions and aids
The core skills used by Physiotherapy include manual therapy, therapeutic exercise and the application of electro therapeutic modalities. Specifically, physiotherapists improve client’s quality of life by:
- Promoting optimal mobility, physical activity and overall health and wellness;
- Preventing disease, injury, and disability;
- Geriatric care& Rehabilitation;
- Managing acute and chronic conditions, activity limitations, and participation restrictions;
- Improving and maintaining optimal functional independence and physical performance;
- Rehabilitating injury and the effects of disease or disability with therapeutic exercise programs and other interventions; and
- Educating and planning maintenance and support programs to prevent re-occurrence, re-injury or functional decline.
Students studying Physiotherapy learn about the basic sciences such as Anatomy, Physiology, Pharmacology, etc as well as Clinical Sciences such as the Orthopedics, General Surgery, and General Medicine etc. They learn to diagnose patients based on observations and taking personal histories. They also study how to collaborate with patients and family members to determine a plan of care that will be effective for all concerned.
In addition to clinical practice, other activities encompassed in the physical therapy profession include research, education, consultation, and administration. At present, in our country very few Universities are generating Health professionals specialized in Physiotherapy.
The Bachelor of Physiotherapy (BPT) programme introduced by SGT University promises to generate professionals having extensive and elaborated knowledge in the field of Physiotherapy.
At SGT University Practical training to students is imparted at state of the art Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation center where students get hands on training under the expert faculty of 665 bedded multi disciplinary SGT Hospital which is located within the premises of SGT University. Students expand their horizons of therapeutic and rehabilitative concepts through involvement in community based rehabilitation programs and other “outreach” programs. Thus the students have the advantage of excellent clinical training, besides highest level of academic activity which bridges the gap between theoretical knowledge and its practical application.
The overall goal of the BPT Program is to prepare students to practice state of the art Physiotherapy. The educational goals of the curriculum reflect the knowledge, skills and behaviors expected of program graduates.
- To provide comprehensive clinical and research experience in Physiotherapy.
- To provide holistic health care services to all and to produce Competent, skilled and dedicated Physiotherapists.
Bachelors in Physiotherapy
- Is a 4.6 year couse inclusive of 6 months of compulsary internship.
Eligibility Criteria– 50 % aggregate marks in Physics , Chemistry and Biology.
- Minimum age criteria is 17 years till 31st December of the year of admission.
Examination should be open to a person who is
- having attended separately in theory and practical/clinical not less than 75 percent of the lectures delivered and practicals conducted in each of the subjects prescribed for the examination provided that deficiency in the number of lectures delivered and practicals conducted may be condoned by the Dean/HOD to the extent of5% of the lectures delivered.
- of having secured at least 35% marks of the total marks fixed for internal assessment in each subject, separately in order to be eligible to appear in all University examinations.
- of good moral character.
Internal Assessment should be submitted to the Controller of Examination at least two weeks before the commencement of theory examinations. This shall be maintained in each department, which should be made available for inspection by the student concerned as well as University authorities.
The re-appear/fail students may be re-assessed, if they so desire, next time for the purpose of improvement of internal assessment, otherwise their previous score of assessment will be carried forward.
- Their demand in medical institutions is increasing since Physiotherapy plays an important role in the treatment of patients with Orthopedic and Neuromuscular disorders. Like all other medical and paramedical professionals employment opportunities for Physiotherapists are tremendous as it is a career where the demand exceeds supply.
- Physiotherapists practice in many settings such as Government hospitals
- Private hospitals
- Private Practice
- Outpatient clinics
- Health and Wellness clinics,
- In the rehabilitation Department.
- Critical care unit.
- Centers for the handicapped, schools for the mentally retarded and physically disabled children,
- Health institutions
- Physiotherapist with various sports teams.
- Defense medical establishments.
- In Multinational companies.
- Research analyst in Research Centers
- Schools and Private homes
- They can also practice in non patient care roles like health policy, health insurance, and Health care administration and as health care executives.
- Physiotherapists are also involved in medical legal field serving as expert and performing peer reviews.
Teaching Strategies and Curricula
Unique style of teaching and experiential learning is followed. We believe in achieving excellence by integrating teaching, learning & research. Teaching strategies include Structured Interactive sessions, small group discussions, Focused group discussions, Participatory Learning experience (PLA), Institutional visits, Practical including demonstration, Problem based exercises, Slides& Video Clips, Case studies, self learning tools, tutorials, interactive learning and e-modules. The theory training will be primarily from cognitive domain and practical training will be from cognitive, psychomotor and affective domains.
Hands on training is provided to the students to enhance their skills. Various workshops are conducted in department to provide them opportunity to learn advance treatment skills.
The Course Curricula of Faculty of Physiotherapy is specifically designed to bridge the skill gap and make the Students ready for the industry.
It is assumed that there will be approximately 4730 teaching hrs during the 4 year course. Out of these theory teaching will be for 3045 hrs and practical will be of 1685 hrs.
Course distribution: The BPT Programme will be of 4. 6 yrs duration including 6 months of Internship.
All the students after passing Final Prof B.P.T. examination shall go in for six months compulsory rotatory internship in the following departments in their College/Institution:-
i) Physiotherapy Out-Patient Department 1 month
ii) Orthopaedics 1 month
iii) Neurology &Neuro Surgery including ICU 1 month
iv) Cardiology& Cardiothoracic Surgery 1 month
v) General Medicine & General Surgery 1 month
vi) Community-based Rehabilitation/Geriatrics 1 month
Bachelor of Physiotherapy
|1st Year BPT||Teaching Hours|
|Psychology & Sociology||200||100
|English* Elective subject||30|
|2nd Year BPT||Teaching Hours|
|Pathology & Microbiology||120||120|
|Physical Assessment & Manual Therapy||200||100||100|
|Environmental Studies* (Subsidiary subject)||50||50||….|
|English* Elective subject||80|
|3rd Year BPT||Teaching Hours|
|Pediatrics & Geriatrics||80||80||….|
|OBG,ENT & Ophthalmology||40||40||….|
|Rationale of Rehabilitation||120||80||40|
|English* Elective subject||80|
|4th Year BPT||Teaching Hours|
|Physiotherapy in General Medicine & Surgical Conditions||240||140||100|
|Physiotherapy in Orthopedics||300||200||100|
|Physiotherapy in Cardio respiratory Diseases||250||150||100|
|Physiotherapy in Neurology||300||200||100|
|Physiotherapy in Sports Injuries||100||50||50|
|Physiotherapy Ethics & Law||80||80||….|
|Research Methodology & Biostatistics||80||80||….|
|English* Elective subject||80|